FB Plugin

Monday, November 4, 2013

Mirepoix: Wild Rice Soup

Another way to use the Canned Mirepoix soup starter I posted about here.  If you don't want to put up mirepoix (and I totally respect that), saute a cup or so of chopped onions, carrots and celery before starting the recipe below.

This recipe was the actual OR I got the canned mirepoix base from in Julie Languille's Meals in a Jar.  I held off on trying it because I have a hard time finding wild rice in any but the tiniest of packages at my grocery stores.  You *could* substitute brown rice, barley or similar whole grain here (not white rice or any kind of quick-cooking grain), but for some reason, a creamy barley soup doesn't appeal to me.

Happily, I found wild rice in the bulk bins at my local natural foods store while shopping for nutritional yeast.  Not only was it bulk-stored, it was bulk-priced.  This makes it one of the 3 things I can get cheaper at the natural foods store than I can at the regular grocery (shelf-stable almond milk and yogurt-covered pretzels being the others) LOL

I have no pictures of the finished product because I made it one night when I was the solo-parent-on-duty with the 3 kiddos and also making dinner for my in-laws.  Not enough hands for picture-taking, and also no leftovers.

This soup will take some time to cook on Dinner Day because of the cooking time on the wild rice, but it requires virtually no attention.



Wild Rice Soup
Makes 6-8 servings

1 quart mirepoix
3/4 cup wild rice
1 slice lemon or orange (dehydrated, if you're making shelf-stable kits)
2 tbsp parsley (dried, if you're making shelf stable kits)
1/4 cup flour
2/3 cup dry milk
6 cups stock (add 1-2 cups more if you don't can the mirepoix)
Optional: toasted sliced almonds for serving

Combine wild rice, dried lemon slice and parsley in a small jar.  Combine flour and milk powder in a small container.  Store with canned mirepoix and stock.

To cook, add mirepoix, rice-seasoning mix and stock to a large pot.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.  Remove lemon slice.  Whisk 1 cup water into flour/milk mix, and stir into soup.  Simmer 10 minutes.  Serve and top with almonds if desired.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment