FB Plugin

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Armadillo Eggs

Another "as seen as Pinterest, sort of" recipes.  Another Pin Win too.

This is one of those make-it-with-whatever-you've-got recipes...hot peppers or sweet peppers, ground meat of nearly any persuasion or combination, whatever cheese appeals to you and whatever sauce/glaze you can rustle up out of the fridge.

I had pork sausage, sharp cheddar, mini sweet peppers and garlic jelly in my fridge so here's what I did (though meatloaf mix, provolone and beer jelly or jalapeno jelly glaze sounds good too).  The original Pin also suggested grilling them...trying to keep 3 kids under the age of 5 supervised and clear of the grill is not my idea of a good time, so I baked mine on a rack placed over a lipped sheet tray.  But I bet grilled is good too.

I really, really, really wish I had made more of these and popped them in the freezer.

Last thought...this reminds me of a recipe from the 1973 Betty Crocker International Cookbook for "Scotch Eggs"...those are peeled hard-boiled eggs wrapped in breakfast sausage, then breaded and deep-fried.  I think the next time I make Scotch Eggs (which are outstanding post-Easter leftovers), I'll glaze them and bake them instead of breading and deep-frying.



Baked Armadillo Eggs

Makes 6 eggs

1 lb. sausage (or other ground meat)
1/2-3/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg

6 small peppers (sweet or hot)
6 2x1x1/4" slices cheese (any type)

2 tbsp savory jelly (garlic, beer, jalapeno)
2 tbsp dijon mustard

Mix the ground meat, breadcrumbs and egg together and season with salt and pepper if desired.

Trim the peppers and scoop out the ribs and seeds.  Stuff with the cheese.

Divide the meat mixture into 6 parts.  Press each part into a circle and wrap around a pepper, making sure to cover the pepper entirely.  Place the "eggs" on a rack set over a foil-lined lipped baking sheet (foil is a necessary here...I screw up so you don't have to).

Combine jelly and mustard and spoon over the "eggs".  Bake 25-30 minutes at 400F until lightly browned.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment