FB Plugin

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Green Tomato and Corn Soup

I had a boatload of green tomatoes at the end of the garden season this past fall. In the past I've done a variety of things with green tomatoes...pickles (meh), relish (meh), cake (yum but...) ...these just aren't dishes that move real well at my house.

The house favorite remains fried green tomatoes. You can slice, dredge and freeze green tomatoes for quick cooking later.  But at the time of our last garden harvest, I was 38 weeks pregnant and had ankles with the same diameter as my neck so I just didn't feel like doing it. I now have gallons of naked frozen green tomatoes that I still don't feel like dredging!

Some interwebs surfing turned up a suggestion to use green tomatoes in soup. This is my all-green-tomato version of what I found.  It is going on our menu until our green tomatoes are used up, and into next year once our garden starts producing tomatoes.



Green Tomato and Corn Soup
Makes 6 servings

2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp cumin
3 cups green tomatoes (about 6)
6 cups veggie broth (bought or homemade)
16 oz frozen corn
1 portion beurre manie, or 1 tbsp butter + 1 tbsp flour mashed together
2-3 tbsp cilantro, chopped

Heat oil over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan.  Add onion and garlic and saute until soft and lightly browned, 5-8 minutes.  Add cumin and cook 1 minutes.  Add tomatoes and broth.  Simmer 5-10 minutes.  Add corn and bring back to a simmer.  Whisk in flour-butter mixture and cook 2-3 minutes.  Stir in cilantro to serve. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment