FB Plugin

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Easiest-Easier-Easy: Zucchini



Who doesn't have an excess of zucchini at this time of year?  You, over there?  Well, I'm leaving some on your doorstep next.  The following shouldn't be a surprise by now...I love me some roasted veggies, but given the time of year, grilling is the way to go.  The fanciest recipe I provide here is poached from my in-laws...as my father-in-law says often and with gusto, "I could make a meal of this".


Easiest: Grilled/Roasted
Makes 3-4 servings

2 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/2" slices
olive oil or cooking spray

Brush the zucchs with oil or spray with cooking spray, and grill 5 minutes per side (or roast about 10 minutes per side at 375F or 400F) with the rest of your meal.

Easier: Sauteed
Makes 3-4 servings

2 medium zucchini, cut crosswise into 1/4" slices
3 tbsp mojo de ajo, spiced butter, plain butter, oil or bacon fat

Heat the fat in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Saute zucchini slices in batches with 1 tbsp fat per batch, 4-5 minutes per side.

Easy: Stewed with tomatoes and mozzarella
Makes 4 servings

2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise into 1/4" slices
1 large tomato, diced or 1 15 oz. can stewed tomatoes
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 cup mozzarella

Heat the zucchini and tomato in a skillet over medium heat.  Cook about 10 minutes until softened.  Stir in herbs and transfer to an oven-proof dish.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Heat in the oven at 400F until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 10-15 minutes. Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I'm afraid of the kitchen and usually stick to green beans, corn or broccoli. I'm ready to grill some zucchini. Thanks

    ReplyDelete