FB Plugin

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sichuan Pepper Dry Dip

(Edited: I've since decided that I prefer this with the salt untoasted and unprocessed...it's what I'm currently using as my "house" salt-and-pepper seasoning on EVERYTHING)

I'm on a Frugal Gourmet kick this week.  Three Ancient Cuisines is the cookbook I'm working with.  To go with Sesame Almond Chicken Wings (also from 3AC), I made Sichuan (or Szechuan) Peppercorn Dry Dip.  This salt and pepper combo was just right with the relatively low-salt wings.  Also a nice change from sloppy wet sauce.  I think it will also be delicious with hard-boiled eggs (!!) and sprinkled on grilled veggies.

Sichuan peppercorns are peppery and floral at the same time.  If you don't have any, I'd also try using a floral dried herb like rosemary, thyme or marjoram. 





Sichuan Peppercorn Dry Dip
Makes about 2 tablespoons or lots of servings


1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns
1 tbsp black peppercorns
2 tbsp salt
Heat both peppers in a dry skillet over medium heat, shaking frequently, until the mixture just begins to smoke (about 5 minutes).  Cool and grind in a mortar and pestle or mini food processor to desired fineness.  Mix with salt. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment