FB Plugin

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes

I originally saw this recipe in a Washington Post article about lesser known traditional Hanukkah foods.  While I am genuinely interested in food as ritual, what I like most about this dish is the fact that you can completely mix up the batter in advance (as opposed to conventional pancakes which require segregation of the wet and dry ingredients until the last minute). 

That, and I had a pound of ricotta cheese that was about to expire.

Serve these in sweet fashion with fruit or syrup, or in savory fashion with crême fraîche or sour cream.

The finished pancakes are freezable. I suspect the batter would be, too, though I've never tried it.


Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
Makes 25-30 3" pancakes or about 6 servings

1 lb. ricotta cheese
4 eggs
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp nutmeg
zest of 1 lemon
pinch salt

Whisk all ingredients together thoroughly.  Fridge until ready to cook.

To cook, lightly grease a skillet with butter or oil.  Pour NO MORE THAN 2 TBSP OF BATTER for each pancake (I screw up so you don't have to).  Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes per side.  These are more delicate than conventional pancakes, so be careful flipping. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment