Pages

▼

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pizza Meat Pie

Freezer kit
Another South Beach Diet cookbook adaptation.  This sounds so odd, but is so good.  If you think crust on pizza is a waste of stomach space (I know who you are LOL), this is the pizza pie for you. 

I elect to use oatmeal as a binder rather than the SBD-sanctioned whole wheat breadcrumbs since I grind up bread to make my own crumbs and sometimes I just feel lazy.  I also reduce the salt called for and use totally different toppings.  Use whatever toppings you like.


Pizza Meat Pie
Makes 6 servings

For meat layer:
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup dry milk powder
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
pinch of salt

For sauce/toppings:
2 tbsp tomato paste
3/4 cup water
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp dry minced onion
1 cup mozzarella
pepperoni or other desired toppings

For a freezer kit, mix together meat layer ingredients.  Mixture will be dry.  Press into a pie plate and freeze.  Combine sauce ingredients (all except pepperoni or other toppings) and freeze in a ziptop bag.  Put meat layer, sauce  mixture and any other toppings into a large ziptop bag for storage.

To cook, thaw.  Combine sauce-cheese mixture and pour over meat.  Distribute any additional toppings over top of pie.  Bake 40 minutes at 350F.  Cut in wedges to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment